It's raining cats and dogs here right now which is very good on a number of fronts. First, I don't have to worry about watering, and I'm certainly not going to rake in the rain, both of which would have probably aggravated my "issues."
[Side-note: I think for any health concern I have in the future I'm just going to refer to it as an "issue." You should see the way people at work immediately change the subject when they ask why you were out of work the day before and you respond with, "Oh, just a health issue." It's like they think you have leprosy. Kinda funny, actually, especially with the really annoyingly intrusive coworkers.]
Back to the rain... We've had a ton of water this year and the countryside is green green green with vegetation. One would think that a good thing, but once the rain stops, all that vegetation becomes fuel for fires in a hurry. Since Les gets the honor of dealing with the local media, when fire season hits she can get extremely busy. Selfishly, I would much rather have her all to myself (well, after the attention she gives to Herman/Killer, Ori, Odin, and Oz), so this nice soaking rain will prolong my monopolization of the Les market.
Then, of course, there is the equalization factor of the rain. My neighbor's daughter is in the lawn care biz, so needless to say their lawn is immaculate. Les's (Les'? Damn! I gotta look that up one of these days.) neighbor is a retired couple whose children are Leprechauns that live in the recesses of their perfectly coifed grass (that's the only thing I can think of that would cause their sheer terror when they even think Herman might be about to lift his leg on their sod).
The rain puts us all on equal footing if only until it dries out. It knocks leaves and dead branches onto the grass from above, it nourishes each plot of grass equally, and (perhaps most importantly) it makes everything gray for long enough to make everybody's lot look the same.
Okay. Gotta eat.
1 comment:
Would you say it had been raining Hermans and Feos and Odins and Buggers? Let's get all the rain out of the way before we come up there. We could use the rain here in Denver.
Al, I spent the past two days staining the two huge gates that you stained last when you were here in Denver. Had to do two coats because it has been so dry.
Post a Comment