Sunday, May 6, 2012

Herman

Herman would have been eleven in July. Lesley adopted him when he was six from a shelter in Newcastle, WY. His first year was rough. Lots of sicknesses, trips to the vet, trips to the vet hospital in Colorado... he had thyroid problems, high blood pressure, heart problems.

Les nursed him back to health. She slept on the floor with him for the first week to make sure he was still breathing. With time she cleared up his walking dermatitis, got his heart condition, BP, and thyroid under control. She got him to a healthy weight.

 Then Herman started taking care of Lesley. She lost her sister and he was there. He told her it was going to be okay. When I proposed to her, Herman was there to give her his blessing. When she blew out her knee he was there licking it before we even knew what had happened. He protected her and guarded her and loved her unconditionally.

With time he came to protect, guard, and love me. Corgis are fickle and I felt honored in a way to know that he chose me as one of his pack.

On April 19th we played in the yard and barked at the neighbor's dog. I did a little dance that evening for Les (being a goof). Herman looked at me like I was loony. He slept in his bed and let me give him kisses and pets that night.

On April 20th Les let him lick her yogurt container for breakfast -- a routine they had both come to cherish. Funny how the little things like that become so big.

That afternoon we came home from work. Herman was lying peacefully in the entry-way rug. He didn't bark to let the world know we were home. We all barked to let the world know he was gone.

God bless you, Herman. We miss you dearly.

Thank you Tracy Cary for creating this tribute image.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Oh my gosh! I am so sorry Al & Lesley!! Herman seemed like an amazing dog and I feel like I got to know him through the years. *Hugs to you both*

Anonymous said...

SO sorry, they become so much a part of our lives.He'll be waiting for you beyond that Rainbow Bridge.

smassey said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I have an 8 year old red with white female. She is my shadow and my baby. My family treats her like a little person and boy, the personality she has. She can talk to you with expressions and ways that she uses her paws. I hope you have a million pictures to remember him by. I send you my best wishes.

Anonymous said...

What a grand tribute to a wonderful member of your family. Blessings on all of you. - Joe

Whosyergurl said...

oh, so sad. I am so sorry. Chelsea is almost four (in June) and I can't imagine. I'm glad you have each other. And the love of the rest of your fur friends to comfort you.
hugs, Cheryl & Chelsea

Rebecca (rebeccamw@aol.com) said...

I really enjoy the adventures that Killer and Fuitbat have shared. A couple of years ago I had to come to live with my young daughter. (Poor little thing. She was barely out of university and enjoying independence and her first job. My mother died suddenly and before anyone could blink, Alex was buying a house and taking on responsibility for me.) a little digression there...I had never met a Corgi before, despite being a dog lover. As you may have guessed, I fell in love with Loki, who I call Little Miss Pudgy Paws. I am so sorry to hear about Herman. There is a bright spot in the form of Herman Jr. OMG, the fuzzy, puppy, bunny butt is adorable. (For some reason that never gets old.) Poor Simon getting his face and ears chewed up. Thank you for inviting us into the little world of Killer and Fruit Bat.
R