Saturday, June 5, 2010

Torn

Yesterday there was a stray Lab wandering around the neighborhood. I went out and called him, but he was a bit leery. So I got down on all fours and he came over and dipped his head and let me pet him. Next thing I knew he and I had a definite bond.
Anyway, he had a collar so we took him to the shelter. He fell right into a heel and jumped into the Subaru like he knew what he was doing. I told him to sit and he did. No microchip, though. They took him in and said if the owners don't claim him in a week he'll go up for adoption. He was very thin and greasy and had obviously been out for a while. I'm thinking he was abandoned.

Well, I couldn't stop thinking about him (he even has a name in my own head -- Simon -- don't know why Simon, it just popped in to my head). So Les and I visited him today. He warmed right up to me and snuzzled my cheek through the fence and licked my hand a bunch. So friendly and calm.

So now I am really considering adopting him if he's not claimed. There's all sort of reasons to, and I can't think of too many not to.

Will have to play the next week by ear and see what is meant to be.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Aww, poor guy! I hope if you do not take him, another loving home does!! :)

Lois said...

GOOD on you :-) ! Sounds like he may have a home....somewhere, but it I'm always worried about dogs out loose....He certainly couldn't find a better home than yours !