Thursday, October 27, 2011

Day 4. The other coast.

Of course, I suppose a country that has a coast everywhere but to the south really only has one looooong coast, but by "other" I mean west.

Today we took a long and leisurely drive to the northwest and through the uplands and southern highlands to Fort William. I have to say, not that I am an expert, but I think the most beautiful country in the world are the highlands of Scotland in the autumn. I was awe struck. Or as they say here, positively gobsmacked. I really have no words in my meager vocabulary to aptly describe the grandeur. Images of mountains and fog blanketed lochs, valleys of every green, gold and red hue imaginable, and air so crisp and clear -- memories that can keep my dreams full for the rest of this life.

Then there was the Jacobite train to Mallaig. More highlands vistas and of course the Glenfinnan Viaduct. Or also known as the Harry Potter train and viaduct. Very cool, but the scenery was just too much competition for Mr. Potter. Even the best CGI from Dreamworks (or whoever did it) just can't hold a candle to these lands. Mallaig is a coastal fishing village so the views of the sea and the rivers feeding it were nearly as spectacular as the highlands themselves.

On the way back we stopped in Callander for dinner and snapped a few pics of Hamish. Hamish McKay Denovan is a Highland bull. Cutest bull I'd ever seen. We're hoping to go back tomorrow time permitting to feed him and do some sightseeing in Callander.

So for now Hamish will have to feed our critter fix, and the scenes from today will have to feed our souls.

As for the pics, the best are on the camera so the blog will have to suffer (though the one of Lesley's dad Chuck and his reflection came out pretty good for a camera phone). Pics can't really do the Highlands justice, anyway. I did include the obligatory pics of lunch (more fish and chips) and dinner (more haggis).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great photos...thanks for sharing. One of my uncles raised cattle like Hamish. We always enjoyed going out with him to look them up and feed them "cake" - the sweet crunchies that they adored. He could treat them like pets but we were always warned to be careful...thye didn't like strangers. - Joe