Friday, October 28, 2011

Day 5. Let the prep begin!

This morning started off with a jaunt over to Callander to feed Hamish and check out the woolen mills. It's amazing how many Hamish toys and shirts and other memorabilia can actually be made. But the guy is cute ( as is his girlfriend and their little one).

After Callander we took Les and Pam to Arnprior for their hair trials while Chuck and I picked up our kilts. Being a knife collector I was aghast to learn that Scottish law prohibits renting the sgian dubh with the kilt. The sgian dubh (skeen-doo) is the traditional Scottish dirk/dagger worn in the kilt sock as part of the whole ensemble. The Brits are so worried about knife crime (90+% of which is committed using kitchen knives, but I digress) that they have banned renting of this piece of their heritage. Instead you get a prop that looks like one, only isn't. Bah! So I bought a proper one (Oh ouch. Twist me arm! ;) ).

Les and Pam both looked stunning with their hair all done (sorry, no pics) and Chuck and I looked like, well, guys in kilts. :p

We wrapped up the evening with a trip to an Irish pub of all things where I had... More haggis (which I also had for lunch, but in a pie crust - yum!). :D

Tomorrow we pick up the cake and pack for the wedding/honeymoon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking of you - as promised. Too bad about the sgian dubh rental but now you have one for the collection. Looking forward to seeing it. I hope you aren't expecting us to eat haggis at the reception, stateside. If so, I'll try a bite for friendship's sake but it may make a confirmed vegetarian of me. Best regards - Joe